View Single Post
Old 29-01-2014, 20:37   #220
sweaty
Inactive

Services: SKY/BTBB/BTV
sweaty is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: mj Quinn bt openreach engineers

Re the obass cards lots of other contractors have access via them. TBH a contractor can do similar damage with just a set of cab keys!! Most of the big exchanges or level 5 exchanges (something like that..my memory is getting worse) will only allow you into the frame area only and have obass readers on security sensitive areas which won't allow you in depending on your security level. Whilst I was a contractor on frames my BT background allowed me access to higher areas but this was only after a level 3 manager had authorised it. Most high level areas require a call to BT Security to allow you in even after your access had been granted,just to log you in and out. The HDF areas were a good example of this.
TBH most of the fault lies with BT. They want to save money so feel the contractor option is better. On a non-customer facing area his is fine. The LLU work was a good example of this but even then all teams had a BT staff person working and (sometimes) supervising. The training was all done by BT staff and you were treated pretty much equal. Farming out work to McQuinns or Kellys just creates hostility as the BT guys feel they are clearing up the mess whilst the contractors just feel the BT lot are lazy. McQuinss/Kellys don't give a monkeys about the Network just getting the most out of the contract before BT realise what a mistake it was.
sweaty is offline   Reply With Quote