View Single Post
Old 24-02-2023, 17:55   #33
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one
Re: AM Radio fading into history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
Indeed, and of course Bauer are also closing down their local MW outlets, albeit gradually, and I would imagine that Bauer will no longer be transmitting anything on MW by the middle of the decade.

And I wonder for how much longer any BBC Local Radio stations will continue on MW and the BBC stated that it sees the transmission of 5 Live on MW ending later in the decade. However, they have not indicated a possible closedown timeline of Radio 4 on 198 LW.

I wonder if Ofcom will look to re-advertise 1215 AM for another station, thereby giving a national station an analogue outlet and if so, I guess a station like LBC might consider it especially as Global seems to be much more AM-friendly as they haven't closed down any MW transmitters unless there were extenuating circumstances.
198 Long Wave is currently still being used by the Radio Teleswitch service. One of the reasons the BBC still maintain it. The current agreement ends in march, but as some electricity meters still depend on the signal it may be extended further.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_teleswitch
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote