View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 10:15   #8
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
Re: Fifa tells referee to call off England game if players wear poppies

Let's face it. The Poppy appeal is a Commonwealth thing, and I can understand FIFA not allowing such regional symbols to mark an occasion because it sets a precedent where other countries may wish to adorn their shirts with all sorts of symbols.

Also, I think some veterans would do well to come off their high horse.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15606557.stm

Quote:
George Batt, general secretary of the Normandy Veterans' Association, has described the decision as "disgraceful".

He said: "I'm lost for words. I can't see any harm in wearing a poppy. It's so sad.

"You surely don't need rules and regulations in Fifa like this?

In Britain, Remembrance Day is commemorated on the closest Sunday to 11 November
"I would think about 90% of the population wear them [poppies].

"I think it's a bit childish because, after all is said and done, if it wasn't for us blokes, Fifa wouldn't be here."
FIFA was founded in 1904. It seems childish to me to state that FIFA wouldn't be here without veterans.