View Single Post
Old 10-11-2022, 22:25   #7
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Facebook/Meta to cut 13% of its workforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Apple don’t try to invent completely new technologies or services. They look at what others have tried to do and then apply their (extremely successful) design philosophy to it.
Well yes, but I would argue that's largely what Facebook and Google do as well. Both of their core products were compelling implementations of existing ideas. Facebook took the social network and focused on network effects with a clean interface and Google applied a computer science research project to the already packed world of (crappy) search engines.

I think what sets Apple apart from these companies is a narrow focus on things that they know how'll they'll monetise before they start any serious work on it. They and Microsoft are much more traditional companies.

I think Facebook and Twitter operate with the newer silicon valley mindset that you'll always be able to make money from eyeballs on your services so the important thing is to grow fast. Grow the user base or increase the time those users spend in your world.

When the economy turns, debt is no longer cheap and advertising money declines then the latter model is a lot more dangerous.

I think a lot of these service apps such as Deliveroo and Uber might be in trouble as well as they depend heavily on fast growth and access to cheap credit from their investors as to supply their customers.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote