View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 20:15   #10
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one
Re: Cabinet identification

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimac View Post
Hi Dave,

That is what I had originally thought.
In this case, VM have said it isn't thiers (both the engineers that came to site and thier area manager, plus a VM staff member who is on this forum who kindly checked and confirmed where the VM cabinets in my street are - and they are the green ones further along the street as I suspected).

Next step I guess it to check to see if there is any voltage/unplug it and knock on my neighbours doors to see if anything is affected.
This may have provided an analogue service, instead of Ariels on roofs it was provided by a cable TV system, just the basic channel 1-5, this may not be in use now but whether have a right to remove the cabinet or disconnect the cables is another question. I know of similar disputes where VM cabinets have been sited on a persons boundary of there house but the homeowner was not aware until he recieved his deeds 12yrs later! and is now wanting the cabinet moved off his land, unfortunately after 12yrs it's not as simple as that

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

Quote:
OK.... so, I am getting a little forther with this! I will put a new photo up soon.

It is definately on my land, that is not in question.

It appears originally to have been operated by Phillips Television (about 25 years ago - small section in my deed of covenants), who are denying any knowledge of it.

Oddly, the cover is actually open (I was going to open it myself, but there is no need!)and the stuff in there looks quite new. Nearly all markings have been crossed out and there is a "redundant cabinet" sticket in there, what looks like a small 12v power supply and a few bits of coax - it is largely empty. Photo coming up soon.

Thanks for your advice so far!
If there is a 12v PSU in the cab then there will be 240vac feeding it as well, so this will prove to be a costly move as the local DNO will charge anything between £300-600 to removed power

---------- Post added at 20:15 ---------- Previous post was at 20:14 ----------

Quote:
Hi all!

This may not necessarily be a VM question, but I am not sure who and where else to ask!

Please bear with me, I know there are some similar threads on here, which I have read through.

I have recently moved home and within my property (side) boundry there is a small grey cabinet which I would like to have removed. Just like everybody else, I want to remove my wall and erect a fence at the edge of my property to increase the useable area of my rear garden. There is already a precedence in the street for doing this and I will go through the proper process of planning application etc.

When in the process of purchasing the property, the owner and estate agent both stated it was a box for cable television/internet.

I have had VM Broadband installed, the engineers said at the time they didn't think it was a VM box, but probably was an old analogue cable box.

I have spent some time googling about and don't know who to speak to regarding removal or relocation of the box (via notice of rescinding the wayleave - if there even is one - or otherwise) before going through planning etc.

Can any of you shed any light on what it is, or point me in the right direction of who to speak to please?

Any help is much appreciated!

cheers!

Jim
That looks like an old BT system with the metal plate on the wall of the house????

Where abouts in the country are you?