View Single Post
Old 08-11-2021, 22:28   #159
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Owen Paterson: Anger as Tory MP avoids suspension in rule shake-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Again, nothing to do with this thread and I am not assisting you to go off topic and receive the ire of the mods.

Why don’t you give me a link to prove the assertion that the Conservatives were trying to let Paterson off the hook? The right of appeal would only let him off if the investigation was not properly carried out as he alleged.

I am very clear that an appeal would not have let him off the hook, unless there’s some evidence to the contrary of which I am unaware.

---------- Post added at 19:45 ---------- Previous post was at 19:44 ----------

More deflection. This is the Owen Paterson thread.

---------- Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 19:45 ----------

How can the matter be closed when the Opposition keep droning on and hyperventilating about it?

The correct course of action now should be to review the procedures with a view to establishing a right of appeal, which is what the government wanted all along. The delay to Paterson’s suspension while that was being considered was not an unreasonable suggestion.

All credit to the government for saying it was wrong to conflate the two issues, but I have to say that given the faults in the investigation that Paterson pointed out, an appeals process would have looked into whether or not that was an appropriate argument.
You will note OB that I said his guilt was “case closed” with his resignation.

If the opposition want to make political capital out of corruption - and indeed a Government led bid to get him off the hook they are free to do so.

The Government deserves no credit whatsoever for belatedly recognising what is obvious to all members of this thread except seemingly one.

The correct course of action is to acknowledge that due process - as established by our great sovereign Parliament - was followed. A guilty man has resigned. A grubby cover-up was torpedoed and backbenchers are furious with Number 10 for being co-opted into it.

You are so far out on your own on this one it’s simply preposterous.

There is little further to add.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote