View Single Post
Old 17-10-2021, 10:38   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: New NAS drive required

Synology is the only way to go dude. I have been using Buffalo NAS's for donkeys years as they were inexpensive and got the job done but they pretty much disappeared off the market a couple of years ago which forced me to look elsewhere when I needed a new one last year. A friend of mine has been nagging me to get a Synology NAS for ages so I took a good look at what they offer and I was blown away. They have their own OS with apps which isn't just a simple interface with minimal features. It is as if somebody sat down and said "we are going to make the perfect OS for our NAS's with every feature you could possibly want".

I am sure you will google and youtube different websites and videos with different recommendations but I have found a video for you which will point you in the right direction.

For reference, I have got the Synology DS418 and I think it is absolutely flipping fantastic. Depending on what your requirements are you may not need that storage capacity or want the fault tolerance but there are other options available. Any NAS which uses the DSM OS (disk station manager) will allow you remote access via any device.

If you want to take a leap and invest in something more costly and substantial like I did then you should take a look at this guy's youtube channel. I was very reluctant to spend so much on a NAS and then the drives as well (ironwolfs) without knowing what I was getting. Luckily I found this guy's channel on youtube and he has made a series of comprehensive and professional videos detailing every aspect of the DSM and explaining all the features. I watched pretty much every single one before I bought my NAS. It should answer every question you could possibly have and give you some peace of mind as to what you get for your money. You wont want to watch every single video but they have titles and I would suggest you watch the first couple to get a flavour of the basics of what DSM has to offer as well as the tutorial for setting up remote access.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...aNMmFpmZJ1wYwo

General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote