View Single Post
Old 18-10-2021, 22:47   #5516
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Dune (2021): 10/10

I don't know where to start with this one but I think in this case less is more as far as my writing goes I knew absolutely nothing about the story and this film did a perfect job of setting everything up and explaining everything. The best way I can describe it is like the Lord of the Rings trilogy where a lot a happens in the first film but there is clearly more story to tell. I only wish they had made all the films at the same time because I would gladly have sat there and watched them back to back; i was hooked.

Amazing visuals, story, acting, action, special effects, score and everything else you can think of. This film sets the gold standard for story telling and you can't help but think "if they can do it in this film so well then why can't every film be like this". It deserves a boat load of Oscars and if it doesn't get them it will be a travesty.
The 1984 version set a pretty high bar, which may have helped push this production along. That previous adaptation really only falls short in its editing of the original material IMO - it’s obvious a ton of story is missing from Paul Atredes’ time among the Fremen rebels. But then they only ever planned to do it in one film, while Villeneuve is aiming to do it in 2.

It’s a rare thing indeed by the way to have something on the scale of LotR in continuous production for that length of time (principal photography for the entire triology went non-stop, back to back, for well over a year, with pick-ups following on and off over the 3 years after that). New Line took a huge financial risk on it. Miramax had originally been funding the production but were only prepared to allow 2 films. They walked away because they couldn’t afford the risk inherent in doing what Jackson and Walsh wanted to do with it.

With Dune 2021, Villeneuve wanted to go big and wasn’t prepared to go low budget just to secure advance funding for the sequel. He has said he needed to make the first film good enough to make the case with Warner, which has bankrolled the project - it was a gamble that risks him being left with an incomplete work but if it’s as good as it looks it is a gamble that should pay off.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote