View Single Post
Old 21-05-2013, 16:25   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Netgear GS105 vs GS105E Gigabit switches

In theory, reading the specs, both have power saving functions. The main difference is the E version has other toys which take the device from being unmanaged (i.e it treats all traffic with the same priority), to a managed capability (you somehow get a control interface to set up QoS and other stuff). I suspect very few home networking people would need to worry about that.

But the question is whether you even need Netgear, where you pay for the name, or a lesser brand such as TPLink, or Tenda would do. Interestingly, although bought a few years ago now (at a lot more money than they cost today), for our the NTHW clan's gaming LANs I bought 3 8 port Netgear gigabit switches (plastic cased versions). I later bought a couple of much cheaper 8 port Tenda gigabit switches. The Tenda ones seem to work much better, both in correctly sensing the gigabit network connections when Netgear often dropped back to 100mbit, and in terms of data throughput (we often shift a few hundred gigs of data as everyone leeches between the gaming session).
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote