Thread: Network Drive
View Single Post
Old 20-12-2015, 19:40   #12
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Network Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
I think a network drive is a better option.

I followed that video and setup the drive and network and i have tried two drives and get really bad read\write speeds.

It starts off around 1.1mb/s and drops to around 34k where it hangs and then jumps back up and falls and hangs, then jumps again. It took me almost 40mins to download 462mb from the USB drive to my PC.
Hi Alan, these speeds do seem low. Here's a TBB review of the N66u and the speeds they got with a USB HDD here:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardwa...6u.html#backup

Quote:
We tested the USB systems read/write performance by using a large (1 GigaByte) file and timing the operations. We have included the speeds reading and writing to the same device when connected to a PC.
File copy to USB stick connected to RT-N66U 26 Mbps (Mega bits per second)
File read from USB stick connected to RT-N66U 91 Mbps
File copy to USB connected to PC 33 Mbps
File read from USB stick connected to PC 125 Mbps
File copy to USB 2 HDD connected to RT-N66U 126 Mbps
File read from USB 2 HDD connected to RT-N66U 85 Mbps
File copy to USB 2 HDD connected to PC 240 Mbps
File read from USB 2 HDD connected to PC 235 Mbps
File read from routers WAN FTP server (USB HDD) 103 Mbps
File copy to routers WAN FTP server (USB HDD) 59.4 Mbps

The USB system on the RT-N66U seems pretty fast, but the difference between using a USB stick and a USB 2.0 hard drive reveals how important the choice of storage media is when using the RT-N66U as a media server.
To be fair, the router will always be a poor substiute for a dedicated NAS. The HP MicroServer N40L I have running Open Media Vault will deliver 800+Mbps over AFP/SMB network shares but this is much more costly to setup and maintain relative to what you have with the router.