View Single Post
Old 04-05-2021, 10:40   #196
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Indeed, but if a programme like LoD is scoring 13 million on the overnights and perhaps a further 3-4m on catching up that’s not because everyone without access to iPlayer in some form decided to watch the same program.

Fundamentally those kinds of figures are pushed by generating hype, getting people talking about it on social media and having the cast on a series of magazine programming/puff pieces on BBC News/Norton/This Morning.

Dumping seven episodes on an arbitrary Monday morning wouldn’t generate this level of interest. Even if universally available and “free”.
You are denying the inevitable by pointing to what is happening now, even though I have never claimed that there would be any major change in 2021. Furthermore, you continue to ignore what media commentators and those in the business are saying, rubbishing everything that contradicts your alternative vision.

I am, actually, keeping an open mind on this, but I have not read anything that points to a different scenario to the one I have painted. Your reference to ‘Line of Duty’ is utter desperation if that is meant to prove me wrong, which it doesn’t.

I am quite prepared to see the 2035 date slip without wanting to jump over a cliff if the unexpected happens. One crucial factor in that date is the government’s broadband rollout, which has already slipped. Clearly, if that keeps being put back, that will affect my thinking. However, a nice audience figure recorded on linear TV for a popular BBC1 programme cuts no ice with me. That big swing in audience habits for streaming services simply hasn’t happened to the extent that it will change anything yet, but I never said it would.

For someone who dislikes straw man arguments, you certainly like clutching at straws!

Anyway, let’s just sit back and see what happens. Neither of us are in a position to prove anything at this stage.