Thread: General Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
View Single Post
Old 21-06-2021, 13:10   #750
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
The added streamers aren't automatically added to customer's subscribed packs. One didn't compensate for the other.

Having the app available doesn't give the TV provider any of the customer's streamer subscription money unless they go through that TV provider.

Many people will have existing Netflix or Spotify, etc, accounts that they are paying directly to the streamer and simply logging in. The likes of Sky and VM aren't automatically getting a share as soon as you log in to that existing account on that device.

I'm not expecting to get a Disney+ sub automatically included on my package as a result of the loss of FOX and (later) the Nat Geos. That would be "adding back lost content", just adding an app without the access to use it on an ongoing basis, isn't adding content, it's adding a non-interactive pretty picture on the TV screen.

Adding an app is just a tile on an electronic mosiac if no subscription is included.
That’s why I said it would be interesting. A way will need to be found of monetising the new TV environment that is emerging, otherwise the TV side of Virgin’s business will no longer be profitable.

Perhaps they should buy ITV and take some income that way!

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Why not?

They're not saving a fortune from the channels that are leaving. Often it's genuinely in the order of pennies per subscriber per month.

Customers aren't going to leave Virgin in a hurry, losing bundle discounts, to buy a basket of two or three £5-15 a month streaming services.

All that's likely to happen is that the same users end up paying more for a standalone broadband service.

If I were to move to a standalone broadband product I'd have about £12 and lose all the channels in Maxit (inc. BT Sport) in the process.
I cannot see subscribers being prepared to pay for the small number of pay tv channels that will be left if the current trend of diverting content to streamers and closing down channels continues apace, can you?

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
I believe Virgin Media is currently conducting a trial to bring most of the streaming services together and available to subscribers.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...t-service.html
This may be offered to broadband-only customers in the first instance, but I can see Virgin developing this concept and offering it to existing TV customers in the future.