Thread: UK Timeline [Merged] Ashes to Ashes
View Single Post
Old 14-02-2008, 21:02   #53
Stu038
RIP

Stu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful one
Re: [Merged] Ashes to Ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremus View Post
Not a great first episode. For one thing, it didn't really feel like they nailed the 80s as well as LoM did with the 70s, and the episode had more than a few very suspect moments. Style over substance, really,
I disagree, I think that they got it pretty close, folks tend to forget just how many changes in styles and fashions there were through the 80s it wasn't all Spandau ballet and Duran Duran thank god. 1981 was still very much Saturday Night Fever with a bit of Fame attitude thrown in for good measure

The Jam, the clash, the Police, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Blondie and The Damned were all going strong. The New Romantics were just staring to make an impression and the "alternative" comedians such as Elton, Fry and Laurie, Enfield, Mayall and Sayle were just around the corner.

Besides much of what I remember about the 80s was style over substance anyway Just look at the Joan Colins Fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremus View Post
but probably about as good as you can expect from British TV. <shrugs>
I take you haven't got a very high opinion of British television then.
Stu038 is offline   Reply With Quote