View Single Post
Old 05-04-2024, 08:54   #1345
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Hamas Israel War

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I do think this aid convoy massacre will prove a turning point.
It seems to have been.
Quote:
Analysis: New routes the most significant move on aid since war began

This three-point announcement to ease aid flows into Gaza represents the most significant move by Israel since this conflict began six months ago.

It follows a call between President Biden and Prime Minister Netanyahu. It was a tense, challenging conversation I am told, but not one in which any direct ultimatums were issued by the Americans. The US vibe was more "you're making it harder and harder for us to support you" than "do this, or else".

The Biden-Netanyahu relationship has been increasingly tested and my sense is this call represented the most strained moment yet.

Biden's levers to effect change are limited, but these announcements represent a real moment of change.

We don't yet have a confirmed timeline for when the three measures will become a reality but I am told its likely to be days not weeks.

First – Israel's southern port of Ashdod is to be authorised to receive aid for Gaza. This alone will be a game-changing moment. Remember the Americans had been forced to announce the construction of a temporary port off the Gaza shoreline to receive aid. Now it can come from Cyprus into a fully functioning port.

Second – the Erez crossing from Israel into the northern Gaza strip will be opened for aid transfers. This will be another game-changing moment. Aid arriving in Ashdod can then be driven the 20 miles south to Erez and across into the strip.

Third – there will be a streamlining of the movement of aid through the south-eastern Kerem Shalom crossing from Israel into Gaza. It's not clear precisely what this will look like but I am told it could involve military trucks from Jordan being allowed straight into Gaza through Kerem Shalom.
https://news.sky.com/story/middle-ea...trike-12978800
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote