View Single Post
Old 17-04-2024, 12:01   #15
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: MPs to vote on smoking ban for those born after 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Your question is premised on financial and social impacts - to answer you on that basis is to accept whatever assertion you’re making about those impacts, but you haven’t set out what you think they are. It sounds like whataboutery because you’re just pointing a finger and expecting other people to fill in the blanks for you.
Is his point not that they are (within a reasonable margin of error) pretty much the same across the whole spectrum?

It doesn’t require anything more than someone who favours banning but not the other to consider why the same doesn’t apply and what the difference is. If your point would be that it’s not as addictive then fine. But I don’t think it’s fair to dismiss the comparison as whataboutery.

(For the declaration I don’t smoke but do enjoy the odd beer, rum or glass of wine)

---------- Post added at 12:01 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
I’d just like to know why do people think that alcohol is more socially acceptable than smoking. No finger pointing

If you don’t want to answer well obviously that’s fine…..
I think there’s something in the fact very many people can enjoy drinking in moderation in a way that isn’t often found in smokers. Growing up I knew of far more adults who smoked 20 or 30 a day, those still alive now paying the price in terms of their health, than would sit and drink to excess daily or even weekly.

That’s not to say there aren’t people who do, or that their addictions haven’t caused the same or worse financial, social or health impacts.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote