View Single Post
Old 14-12-2007, 23:57   #7
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
Re: dailing an american number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
If i wanted to call a company in a America that has their number displayed as

1-800-COMPANYNAME how would I go about it

is the IDD code for the USA 001?

Do you press the number on the keypad of the phone that corresponds to that letter?

e.g for the example above 001180026672696263

Why do American companies put letters instead of their phonenumber
Because it is easier to remember?
1 800 CALL DHL is easier to remember than 1 800 225 5345
1 866 4 ZIPCAR is again easier than 1 866 494 7227
Some get a bit tenuous and IMHO no easier to remember
1 888 662 HSBC is no easier than 1 888 662 4722

What's easyjets phone number (I know they encourage on line but their planes used to have it in 30 ft letters on the side of the plane - still remember it?) or say BA.
I can tell you JetBlue is 1800JETBLUE and BA is 1800AIRWAYS, don't need to look either up, I just know the number.

When you dial an 8nn number you will get a message along the lines of
'the toll free number you have dialed is not free of charge outside the US please hang up if you do not wish to be charged for this call'

The cost will be the same as any other US call.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote