View Single Post
Old 24-04-2023, 23:12   #2023
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
I believe you could see the connection cab level but to trace beyond that I do not think was easy.

As far as I am aware if your had BB you could have a card share box without any TV. A lot of boxes had both sat and cable tuners
He had broadband, phone and a legitimate V box in the living room at the time. The dodgy box was to be used in his bedroom.

---------- Post added at 23:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Richard, repeating libellous statements can get you into serious legal trouble - you are repeating claims that VM/NTL encouraged illegal activities as it benefited them financially.
These allegations were made by the Virgin engineer when I chatted to him whilst he was installing the dodgy extra box.

I did a search about what he'd said when I got home and the general consensus on the internet was that this was believed to be the case. It also said that it was considered good etiquete to subscribe to the basic subscription when accessing unauthorised pay TV .

I wouldn't go as far as to say that this was encouraged and, to be clear, the engineer hadn't been sent by Virgin to do it! He came in his own time.

I couldn't find anything about the return path, which is why I asked sirius about this.

Can anyone who had a dodgy box confirm if they could access VOD on them? I think that my late friend was told that he could access any VOD/PPV event, but it's a long time ago now and I obviously can't ask him. If people could access these services, it must have had a return path- so I can't understand how these boxes were invisible to the network and thus detectable as dodgy boxes on the network.

It's all acedemic now as it's so long ago, but i'm just curious.

I do remember that Virgin put up a slate that appeared on dodgy boxes that said something along the lines of 'You are watching on unauthorised equipment. To subscribe call xxx, no questions asked'!

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 24-04-2023 at 23:26. Reason: Spelling FAC HTH
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote