Thread: Powering a Hub5
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2022, 21:57   #10
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star
Re: Powering a Hub5

So there probably isn't likely to be any blackouts really. I think that if there are likely to be issues they will tell people to work from home again so the businesses can use less energy (lights, heating off, probably only powering comms cabinets and the like etc) in offices, and they'll suggest people turn off things which aren't essential, maybe we'd see stuff like traffic lights and street lights on reduced too (maybe 1 in 2 or something on the latter) but realistically society has changed since the last time they did do this and we have much more that's dependent on being kept on as do places which store things which are temperature controlled.

It does make me smile when they say about keeping your phones charged and stuff when a phone still needs to connect to a mast which still needs power, what happens if the mast is affected by the blackout?

I have key stuff like PCs, switches, servers, and the hub on a UPS, You can get them with a conventional socket, it lasts about 15-30 mins depending on what you have plugged in (so maybe just something like a superhub on its own might be longer than having computers on there as well) but whether you could get one lasting 3 hours or whether this wouldn't just be affected by any downstream outage as well, who knows.

Despite the fact some people will rightly dismiss it being reported on as scaremongering, I do think it's right they plan for the situation. After all, they did get a bit of a bad press for being unprepared for the pandemic.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote