Thread: General Analogue Cable Memories
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2018, 10:29   #37
RWCable
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media TiVo / Broadband / Somehow still the landline
RWCable is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Analogue Cable Memories

I would!! It's like a lot of old tech, not really much to look at now, but I do appreciate it for what it was at the time. Thinking in terms of how we had 5 terrestrial channels, these things could open up a world of viewing and information, provide primitive near on-demand, be remotely managed, and joined on to a network of similar equipment. The delivery mechanism is basically one wire to your house where all this takes place. What we have today is basically the same, but really refined.

The primitiveness of it interests me because it was really pushing the limits of what you could do with analogue tech, e.g. the multiplexing of dozens of channels, the encryption/scrambling and decoding of such signals etc, and the little digital bits are interesting to me as well.

These boxes basically turned what you had, which was a TV with variable reception quality and limited things to watch into kind of, "windows of the world" and seeing these things work provided a nice insight into the possibilities of technology. That's how I saw it growing up anyways, still fascinates me

Last edited by RWCable; 04-08-2018 at 10:41.
RWCable is offline   Reply With Quote