View Single Post
Old 20-04-2014, 14:08   #158
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Our washing machine I hope. Woke up this morning to find it hadn't drained. Did a manual drain and cleared a load of crud from the pump but it still wouldn't drain even though the impeller was working fine.

I'd already cleared the inlet so reckoned that a blockage in the pump outlet/hose might be to blame. I put the machine on its back and found the pump is readily accessible from underneath and without taking the top, control fascia and entire front panel off - what joy!!!. It's actually a two part pump and the main electrical gubbins part can be twisted off leaving the drain housing and pipework intact. I couldn't see/feel any more crud in the housing so figured the flexible drain hose might be blocked. After disconnecting it from the drain housing I was able to pass it out of the back of the machine into a large bucket. It was then just a matter of connecting my garden hose to the other end and turning on the water. I was amazed at how much smelly grey compacted slime came out - it was like a corrugated 8" turd

Anyway rather than put everything back first, I reassembled everything, filled her up and the machined drained beautifully with no leaks apparent. The washing's on now as a test run to make sure everything works properly but the signs are good so far, touching wood...

The good news is that I now know how to replace the pump if that ever packs up. It ought to be a very simple job.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote