View Single Post
Old 10-06-2022, 15:22   #2726
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Partygate & Beergate discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Maybe the situation is getting to the point that we need a sort of "war footing" coalition government so the politicos stop their silly point scoring and work together to solve what looks like a really hard time coming.
The problem with that is obtaining agreement among the parties as to what is the basis for the "war footing". You and I know what's wrong, but even we would be hard pressed to define this in terms of "war footing" not to mention how this would actually resolve/solve matters.

---------- Post added at 15:22 ---------- Previous post was at 14:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Johnson is certainly getting the worst of it but the longer he stays as leader the longer it damages the wider Tory 'brand' I think.

The worst thing for them is most of this is self-inflicted. The Owen Paterson scandal and the Partygate ones aren't even poor political decisions - such as Brown's 10p tax rate - but extracurricular shenanigans they didn't need to do at all.

What should worry the Tories is that there are more structural problems coming they can't address simply by dumping their leader. The full political impact of inflation, the cost of living and what looks to be very low growth are only beginning to be felt and will get worst over the next 12 months. NHS waiting times are also projected to increase for the next few years. For all the talk of scandal, it will pass, and people will simply have lower trust in Johnson overall. What people will vote on is their incomes, their expenses and if they're in poor health and have to wait months for an NHS appointment.
Yes, the Conservative brand is becoming contaminated by Boris and his cabinet cronies.

I got this email from Boris after he got away with his career:

Quote:
Dear xxxxxxxx,

I am writing to thank you for your support and set out my plan for how we can move forward together as one united party.

We have drawn a line under weeks of media speculation and are determined to take this country forward. And David, as a valued Conservative Party member, you have a vital role.

We can move on from the issues our opponents want us to talk about – and renew our focus on what matters – delivering on the people’s priorities.

We’ve already achieved so much together as a Conservative Party – and there’s so much more to do.

We got Brexit Done – and now we need to grasp its benefits and make Britain the best place in the world to do business.

As economies struggle with the impact of Putin’s illegal war and energy price spikes, we are committing £37 billion worth of cost of living support.

And now we need to grow our economy, creating the conditions for even more high-wage, high-skill jobs, to help address the cost of living.

We took the decision to be the first European country to help Ukraine protect itself against an appalling and illegal invasion by Russia – and we will continue to lead the way in our coordinated international response.

And we are fixing long term issues. From tackling social care to our economic and migration partnership with Rwanda, we Conservatives can be trusted to deliver.

It is our responsibility to continue on this path of delivery – by levelling up and unleashing the potential of every corner of the UK. From transport to childcare to energy to housing – we will drive reform that will benefit families up and down the country.

That is our vision: of a strong and prosperous United Kingdom, with our beloved Union protected and supported, projecting the best of British values around the world.

I am absolutely confident that this Conservative Government, together with your support as a member of our party, will deliver for the country we love.
To call it "content free" would insult all other documents that were content free!

I've highlighted just one paragraph - "the people's priorities". Very close to the top, if not at the top are:

1. Restoration of face-to-face doctor's appointments - at least next day;

2. Proper relief from the cost-of-living crisis - like temporary removal of VAT from fuel prices. The mentioned £37 billion says nothing as to its adequacy (which it won't be).

3. Self-sufficiency on power and food (so far as is possible) instead of the stupid "wilding" policy and not joining up power generation with electric cars (never mind the Victorian terraced streets).

By all means support Ukraine, but do not hold it up as a Conservative triumph; do not claim to be anywhere near fixing social care.

By now, the levelling up policy should have been formed and its basis announced. It's pie in the sky, along with Housing Benefit paying for the right-to-buy mortgage!

Jeez.

My advice is at your risk.