Thread: British culture
View Single Post
Old 22-04-2021, 11:17   #58
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: British culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
No, I'm still attempting to understand how you define culture. If it can be transmitted in certain artefacts and behaviours but not in others, and it can be generated in certain artefacts and behaviours but not in others, then I would like to know how you determine which artefacts and behaviours to look to, and which to ignore. At this point, you have still to satisfactorily justify your assertion that it is not appropriate to talk of football in terms of culture. I would like you to outline your reasoning, and not merely repeat the assertion in ever more strident terms.

I'm deliberately ignoring your mildly disturbing attempts to push the thread towards the eulogising or denigrating of certain religious and cultural tropes. I don't think you've set your stall out nearly well enough for that to be fruitful at this stage.

And your talk of 'subliminal' seems to be a fairly transparent attempt to avoid defining your meaning and intent. Sure, average people most of the time don't consciously think about what their culture is, but this is a discussion forum, discussing culture, at your own invitation. So please stop avoiding the question.
Quote:
No, I'm still attempting to understand how you define culture. If it can be transmitted in certain artefacts and behaviours but not in others, and it can be generated in certain artefacts and behaviours but not in others, then I would like to know how you determine which artefacts and behaviours to look to, and which to ignore. At this point, you have still to satisfactorily justify your assertion that it is not appropriate to talk of football in terms of culture. I would like you to outline your reasoning, and not merely repeat the assertion in ever more strident terms.
I don't know what goes on in the deep crevices of your mind, but I've tried to keep it simple in my definition. Above all, British culture is subliminal, expressing itself in people's behaviour and beliefs.
As for football, sod that; it's a distraction.

Quote:
I'm deliberately ignoring your mildly disturbing attempts to push the thread towards the eulogising or denigrating of certain religious and cultural tropes. I don't think you've set your stall out nearly well enough for that to be fruitful at this stage.
Apparently not. I haven't denigrated anything. But I would like to tease out whether or not others think that British culture is under threat.

Quote:
And your talk of 'subliminal' seems to be a fairly transparent attempt to avoid defining your meaning and intent. Sure, average people most of the time don't consciously think about what their culture is, but this is a discussion forum, discussing culture, at your own invitation. So please stop avoiding the question.
Definitely not. I'm quite certain that culture cannot be simply defined; Googling the question comes up with definitions like:

the ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society.

You can't detail that as not only would the list be very long, the variants come into play and very few people would be able to contribute at that level in this debate.

However, since you've tried to force the point, I believe that British culture is under threat in so far as if the birth rate of an incompatible culture reaches a critical mass, laws will change as that culture asserts itself.

See: https://www.google.com/search?newwin...w=1482&bih=761

Quote:
UK Muslim Demographics.
Year Pop. ±%
2001 1,600,000 +68.4%
2011 2,706,066 +69.1%
2017 3,372,996 +24.6%

Happy now?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote