View Single Post
Old 27-07-2012, 22:24   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: 48 Olympic channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly_ View Post
So when you say it has nothing to do with sky.... Let me just tell you something

SKY AEE PAYING FOR THE 48 OLYMPIC STREAMS FOR THE BBC AND GIVING THEM TO FREESAT FROM SKY ,SKY, FREESAT, VIRGINMEDIA for free. It's virgin that are the only provider that require you to have a pay tv package to view them.
The BBC are required by the terms of their licence to provide any channels unencrypted.

Sky couldn't restrict access even if they wanted to, and the only reason they are doing it is because it's the only way to get all the Olympic content to their STBs.

Once again all Virgin Media's currently sold TV service is a paid service, whereas the BBC channels on satellite can be accessed by anyone with the right kit.

Quote:
If sky weren't providing the capacity there wouldn't be 48 Olympic channels. I can imagine virginmedia are probably seeing if they can report Sky to ofcom for providing the BBC with free capacity lololol
Actually from the beginning any Virgin Media customer with TiVo will have been able to access all the content, because the BBC's original plan was to have the extra channels as IPTV content only. http://mediacentre.virginmedia.com/S...TiVo-2311.aspx

---------- Post added at 22:24 ---------- Previous post was at 22:17 ----------

But I do think it's nice of Sky to pay for the extra satellite capacity to allow the BBC to provider the extra channels as linear, so that people without connected TVs can access the extra channels