View Single Post
Old 24-05-2020, 18:00   #1367
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Ah today’s straw man. None of this is my preference, it’s my prediction based on observable reality and economics.

As you say, twenty years ago we didn’t have “on demand”. And in twenty years, despite the depth and breadth of content on it, people still watch live linear television. As with Sky+ and other PVR products. You still haven’t sold me on what streaming offers has that on demand and a PVR doesn’t in terms of convenience to the average end user who has thus far resisted or relied on a mix of live, timeshifted and on demand.

I’ve said a million times I have three streaming services (now four actually I’ve got 6 months free Apple TV+).

This isn’t about what I wan’t - if it was up to me we’d have nationalised the cable network and extended build in the 90s to deliver TV and broadband services that way with minimal satellite and terrestrial offerings. That way we’d have then had a genuinely future proof national network then rather than be finding £5bn in state intervention to plug the gaps the commercial networks won’t reach by 2025. However I digress...
When Amazon or a similar player takes over Premiership football, you may think rather differently. Streaming at the moment is certainly a lot less popular than on demand viewing is when compared with live events on conventional TV channels, but I believe that this will be the only choice in the future, because that's how these global players want to do it.

---------- Post added at 18:00 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
A) I don’t know that - I used to, and still do, call "conventional TV channels" "channels"
Most people were calling them linear channels, as did I, until the pedants attempted to rubbish the whole argument being presented by saying that streaming is also a linear channel (which it is, of course, but with the word 'channel' being in used in a slightly different context).

Last edited by OLD BOY; 24-05-2020 at 17:55.