View Single Post
Old 24-04-2023, 19:09   #2020
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
It's strange that the driving factor behind the massive increase in VPN usage is Firesticks and the Governments stupid plans to snoop on the daily lives of the population.

---------- Post added at 18:10 ---------- Previous post was at 18:09 ----------

Indeed .

To be clear i never had one for obvious reasons nor do i have a dodgy firestick
Neither did I. I was at a late friend's house when a Virgin engineer came to fit his dodgy NTL box (though it was Virgin). I asked it it had a return path that could catch him out, to which he replied that the box was invisible to the network.

Was this true? If so, how did they catch people out in those days?

I was also told that Virgin weren't too bothered as people using these boxes had to subscribe to at least the minimum subscription, so it drove up sales and that them accessing Sky Sports and Sky Movies for free didn't cost the company any money as legitimate subscriptions to these services didn't make any money for them after they'd paid Sky (I believe that this is no longer the case, which is why Virgin now actively market these products).

This is said to be the reason why it was allowed to go on for so long and why they didn't pay for a new encryption system (until Sky insisted upon it).

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 24-04-2023 at 19:15.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote