View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 23:46   #1682
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
It involves more than that Richard. As it stands the compliance obligations (if this blog post by a regulartory professional is anything to go by) will be a nightmare.

Perhaps you should have a read of it.
Thank you, that was an interesting read.

It's a real shame that the voluntary scheme didn't work. There have been many instances of people reporting material to Facebook who have simply been ignored!

I had cause to complain to them last Friday and the issue was resolved today, so I think that they are gearing themselves up for the Act already.

Ofcom didn't say which sites had been preparing their staff in readiness, but I think that there's a good chance that facebook is one of them.

I, like the last poster Russ, learned something new too. This is the first that i've heard about any regulatory fees, it appears that Ofcom are to cover their costs of regulation from the websites themselves, in the same way that TV & radio channels have to pay annual fees.

This will be pretty irrelevant to the likes of facebook, Twitter etc, but may impact small commercial sites or non profit making ventures run by volunteers.

Hopefully, there will be a sliding scale based on revenue or even an exemption of fees where this would be appropriate.

There was a mention of sites being able to evade the Act by relocating abroad or using VPN's. Whilst I don't understand the technicalities around their solution, it looks like they have amended the bill to cover this too.

If people were to be able to easily evade the scope of the Act, it would make a mockery out of it and be a complete waste of time.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 13-07-2022 at 00:06. Reason: Added extra to post.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote