View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 22:39   #12
Alan Waddington
Inactive

Alan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Recomendations on a new router

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman
so what did you decide on?

After a linksys wireless last year I find my belkin much more reliable.
There didn't appear to be any strong recommendations so i bought another linksys BEFSR41. The wireless routers were tempting, but since the house is wired (about a year before the wireless routers appeared D'oh!) it wasn't really justified.

The BEFSR41 ver. 3 doesn't have as many LEDs as my old router. I guess cisco (ex linksys) are building it down to a price. Perhaps the lack of a red DIAG lamp means that it never goes wrong & doesn't need one.

However there are more config options, even though my old router had the latest firmware. The BEFSR41 ver.3 probably has a bigger flash memory. There are some interesting options for use with a dynamic DNS service for instance.

The firmware has of course been flashed to the latest & the admin password changed. My router. keep out

Anyway, the main thing is that it appears to have solved my problem, although I'll wait for a couple of days before uncrossing my fingers.

Alan
Alan Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote