View Single Post
Old 16-05-2021, 11:33   #10453
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, I’m certainly not disputing that. Of course a pandemic would not prevent a competitive tender. The pandemic has increased the risk factor, and bids would inevitably affect that, which is the reason for the proposal.

I don’t believe that you have any links to show that the request was for any other reason.
So you have accepted that the desire to drive profits is the primary reason for the EPL.deciding to roll over the current deals for three years?

That certainly says to me that there's no "deep pockets" streamer out there. Streaming services have had a good pandemic as worldwide stay at home orders have reduced alternatives for discretionary household expenditure. Now would be the best time for them to strike - if there was any appetite to enter the market at all.

As Amazon were presumably party to these discussions they clearly have no interest in going further than they have to date.

---------- Post added at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Because there is greater risk to revenues in the short term, which would skew the bids in a downward spiral. This is clearly a temporary situation, and any degree of certainty will not return until all restrictions are eased and things settle down again.

I am unaware of any suggestion that bidding will not return when the following round is due.
Well, on your final point it's unavoidable legally for them to not devise a competitive tender. Covid is the excuse - not the motive - for not doing so this time.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote