View Single Post
Old 30-05-2014, 11:39   #21
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Re: The right raid array for NAS

Interesting to hear different opinions on the fan noise of the N54. Need to listen to one myself maybe.

Some people rip their blu-rays to a NAS so they can do away with using the disks and easily browse their media from any location on their network, or even when out and about on mobile devices. Others download similar material but the premise is the same, a central media library. If you do a full bluray you are looking around 56GB per film although you can remux quality down slightly and keep only DTS-MA 5.1 for around 25GB per film. If you look at downloads they are around 7GB per film for a 720 with DTS sound at 1.5Kbps or around 11Gb for it at 1080. So times that by x amount of movies in your library.

Streaming movies from a service is good enough quality for most people and would save the need for the storage but some prefer a higher bitrate for the video on their large tv and better sound quality for their surround sound setup.

I tend to download TV shows even though I can watch them live or through a catch up service, simply because I can automate it completely with the NAS and use the same easy to use interface (xbmc) for watching everything, rather than flicking between inputs to different devices for different things and multiple inferior front ends. They get deleted after being watched but sometimes it takes a while to catch up on them, so the GB of them do stack up, especially with some of them being 1080p.

Add on top music, then all the windows and linux iso's, VM backups, home video backups, lossless music samples for creating music etc and space can easily get taken.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote