Thread: Pronouns
View Single Post
Old 16-08-2022, 17:07   #11
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star
Re: Pronouns

I think that if it's not ambiguous by their name then anything uncontroversial doesn't need to be stated. If someone's name is Craig or Jane then it'd be a bit obvious if they say their pronouns are he/him or she/her respectively. But if they are Sam or Chris then that could be either gender.

I also think that biologically (certainly genetically at least) sex can't be changed; though people can request to be identified as the opposite, and that this preference should be respected if possible, no amount of hormone therapies or operations can change a man into a woman and vice versa - if you're genetically male you can have your penis removed and hormones to grow breasts and a high voice, remove hair etc, but you can't add a functioning womb into the body and have it produce a child can you? So there's always going to be a limit to "being the opposite sex" which will stop short of the full thing.

Non-binary is another question and if people really don't want to be referred by gender-specific pronouns that's again their choice but ultimately genders aren't physically or genetically like that either...

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote