View Single Post
Old 29-12-2006, 10:45   #47
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Where can I get a Wii before Jan 4th

Dunno, mate... I guess only time will tell. So far, though, I'm loving using the Wiimote. Zelda takes on a whole new meaning when you're using the remote instead of a conventional d-pad. Firing from a slingshot, or swinging Link's sword, or casting the fishing rod... they really do feel more 'natural' to use.

Similarly, playing Wii Sports feels completely different to normal sports games - all of the games really complement the Wiimote. Hopefully this will continue with the forthcoming games - golf in Wii Sports is great although it lacks a bit of depth, but Tiger Woods should hopefully fill that gap.

I'm not so much worried about the Wiimote being just a fad, as there are loads of games for which it should lend itself really well. If anything, I think the cut-down graphics capabilities might eventually be its downfall. Although I always prefer gameplay over graphics, I'm not sure if the lack of HD-quality graphics might be its downfall in a couple of years when LCDs & plasmas are more common. Saying that, the Wii has proven so popular in my family amongst those who couldn't normally care less about gaming that the lack of HD-graphics won't even cross their minds.

The Wii will never replace the PS3 or 360, but at least now people consider it as a 3rd next-gen console. I see it co-existing with them rather than competing directly against them. If Ninty had just tried to compete technologically with Sony & MS then I think they would have fallen at the first hurdle.

ps - Wii Play isn't much cop... billiards and cow racing are fun, but it's only really useful for learning to control the Wiimote (which is pretty intuitive anyway). If it didn't come with a free Wiimote, then I'd definitely not recommend buying it.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote