View Single Post
Old 08-07-2004, 06:46   #77
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Re: Prt #1 The NTL phone Number 2 BT line Transfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwesome
To answer my own question the reason most ADSL isp's favour PPPoA over PPPoE is probably why NTL favour telling a new customer that plugging an usb cable from a cable modem is far easy to get on line than installing & using ethernet.

PPPoA is normally used for a USB connection
PPPoE is normally used for Ethernet connection
Just to correct this post none of that is accurate at all.

Using a router (Ethernet connection) the PPP connection is made FROM the router to the ISP (or more precisely BT's RAS/LAC in most cases, apart from Datastream) and you only connect to your router with Ethernet or USB (which is a transport system in its' own right and nothing to do with Ethernet or ATM). Your PC never actually 'speaks' ATM, it communicates with a modem or router which transmits PPP over ATM over ADSL (this is why the gross sync speed on an ADSL modem or router is 12.5% higher than the sold speed, at the DSL layer you lose 12.5% in error correction - not the case with DOCSIS as you are capped at IP level, not ATM level.

The reason that PPPoA is used in the UK is that BT's DSL network is ATM based, so it's more efficient to use PPPoA, as anything you send has to go over ATM anyway. Using PPPoE is doable however you lose performance as you end up doing PPPoEoA. In cases where PPPoE is used the ISP offers an Ethernet / IP network for transport rather than ATM.

NTL don't use PPP and the network is DOCSIS and then IP based, gigabit ethernet and packet over SONET links, which customers don't have to worry about, no overhead involved there.

As far as lower latency goes, with Firefly not likely - all their traffic is routed via Telefonica Germany, just right for those wanting to play on Jolt or Burstfire.

Yes - I don't just do cable modems, I also do ADSL
Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote