Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 18-05-2021, 16:57   #5166
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
What's the quickest way to test efficacy of all the vaccines, across all age groups and a range of underlying conditions?

You can wait around forever for a significant amount of infections in an area where the virus is under control. Or you can take it head on where it's rife and measure what decline (if any) arises

If the goal was reduce infections then local lockdown doesn't take a few weeks to deploy and a few weeks to take effect.
I was thinking about this and was there anything to be said for the ring fencing approach used during smallpox eradication where it was 'all hands to the pump' to vaccinate everyone within a certain area of a smallpox infection. Obviously, it worked well as there's no smallpox any more.

However, there are a couple of reasons why this might not work;
  • You have asymptomatic carriers going in and out of the area unlike smallpox where, if you were infectious, you REALLY knew it
  • The motivation for getting inoculated against smallpox was pretty strong - you don't want smallpox
  • Vaccination takes up to 14 days to work (smallpox was faster)

I think the only way ring fencing would work would be with compulsory quarantine and vaccination.

I saw a tweet earlier from Mark Easton at the BBC which said that only 13% of the population of Burnley worked from home compared with 71% for Richmond which goes some way to explain the rise in cases in some areas - https://twitter.com/BBCMarkEaston/st...18979514884096