View Single Post
Old 25-06-2021, 11:57   #1
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light
Network my HDD - help please

Right then. I am looking to find a way to put my Seagate USB expansion drive on my network so my media player can see the files on it.

The expansion drive is noisy. Really noisy. So it can't go directly into the media player, and there are no extra mains points anyway.

I have a D Link router that is in router mode from my VM Superhub. I can't put the drive into that as it's in the same area as the media player. Too noisy. Really very noisy. And not enough plug sockets.

So, I have:

A switch that I use downstairs that is connected wired to my D-Link router. Into this switch is another Netgear router that I use for extra wifi coverage (I think I've turned DHCP off). The question is....can I use this to put a USB drive on somehow and share it? The drive does not have an ethernet connection. Just USB, and I've tried putting the drive into the USB of the Netgear router but it doesn't show up on my network, presumably as that function is turned off now (is this right? should it be usable?)

Can it be done? Either through the Netgear router or the switch somehow? or am I out of luck? Thanks.
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote