View Single Post
Old 18-05-2007, 15:29   #1
Vlad_Dracul
Inactive

Services: Dispensing wit and wisdom in so far as I am able . P3 500Mhz/ 2Mb BB when it works,no Tv,n
Vlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful one
Am I missing something? Aren't CRTs better?

Hi all,

I drove by the local council waste station the other day and was amzed to see how many CRT televisions and computer monitors were piled up there. I seem to recall reading that my local Council has had to build in an extra amount to council tax due to the massive increase in the numbers of CRT devices arriving at its waste disposal sites.

The sad thing is that i suspect that most of these devices are perfectly functional and have simply been thrown away becuase of the growing fashion for slimmer, lower profile flat schreen TVs of various descriptions.

Now I will admit that I am not fully up to speed with the more recent developments in TV technology. This isnt becuase I'm a technophobe or luddite. Its simply that I have a loathing for television which has slowly gotten worse,driven by the rise in the mindless rubbish that is broadcast these days.

In my hoem I have a very nice Sony 28" widescreen TV. Its probably about 6 years old now and has performed faultlessly since I bought it. When it is fed with a decent signal, I consider that the picture quality is excellent. Of course it is a traditional 625 line CRT set. The 625 line standard has been with us an awefull long time as has the CRT. It follows then that there has to be getting on for 50 years of development and product improvement in CRT production and design to get us to where we are today. Presumably todays CRT TVs are pretty much state of the art (as long as you dont buy cheap junk).

IMHO, the CRT is currently the best medium on which to view television pictures and indeed, computer generated images.

The only possible upgrade path for better quality would be the HDTV route. Presumably there are CRT devices which can dispaly HDTV ?

Why then move to what I think is an inferior medium, i.e the current crop of slim displays? I have seen many of them in stores and the pictures are dire. I have assumed that this is probably due to co-interference with other tv's and electrical devices within a crowded dispaly area?

I'm fairly open about this and I am open to being educated. Can anyone with good knowledge of the subject tell me if i am right/nearly right and also,be kind enough to update me on what the technology is behind the current on sale slim type displays i.e lcd etc etc.