View Single Post
Old 29-04-2024, 11:48   #2835
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Russia has invaded Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The best outcome in 2024 IMO is that Ukraine prevents significant advances by Russia.
They've being doing that for 12 months, the lines haven't changed significantly for a year.

Russia, I think, for the time being is content to hold what they have taken.

Quote:
Russia now knows it has to push hard to get what it can before the new tranche of aid gets to the front.
Does it though. You don't think that Russia's economy and industry hasn't been on a war footing while there's been a pause, you don't think Russia is re-arming and re-grouping?

Quote:
The offensive we hoped to see in summer of 2023 will likely occur this time next year.
We've had a year of essentially two punch drunk fighters not doing too much, the odd swing from a missile or drone. They've punched each other out. So what do you think two rested and re-armed fighters are going to do, probably just beat each other to a pulp again.

---------- Post added at 11:48 ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Don't forget that the reason why Pierre wants someone to guess at the "best outcome" is so he can underwrite his position that Ukraine "negotiates" a deal that would leaves Russia in control of large swathes of occupied Ukraine.
That's because, I believe, that Ukraine will struggle to achieve their objectives of pushing Russia back to pre-2014 boundaries.

So the difference between my best outcome and yours is not different in regards to Russia, in say 2-3 years time, still controlling large swathes of occupied Ukraine.

I believe the only difference between both our scenarios is less people die in mine.