Thread: D Link Network
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2005, 13:35   #6
Skippy81
Inactive

Skippy81 is on a distinguished roadSkippy81 is on a distinguished road
Re: D Link Network

How do I find the MAC address of my machines?

Assuming you are running Windows xp, the easy way is to run "ipconfig /all" from a DOS prompt (go to run in the start menu and type "command" to get the prompt. In Win98, you access the DOS prompt through "cmd" instead, (I think). You need to run ipconfig on each machine.

Remember, that it is one MAC address per network interface, so choose the right one for the Wireless connection.

Please post the Model number of your router, and I will see if I can find you info about the SSID and MAC options.

The amount of time it takes to crack a 64bit WEP key depends on how much traffic is moving through your network. If your use is light and consists of internet surfing and the odd file share, it would take 5 hours minimum to crack. Most WarDrivers will not bother, after all they could crack a busy and "important" WEP network in less time. Bear in mind also, that many WarDrivers are fairly ethical , and are not "crackers", often they will avoid breaking encryption - even WEP.

Also, run a utility such as Languard and Nmap against all of your Network PCs. Assume that your wireless can be cracked by pretty much anyone, no matter what you do, and instead concentrate on keeping trust based filesharing and exploitable services on your Lan to an absolute minimum.
Skippy81 is offline   Reply With Quote