View Single Post
Old 12-08-2023, 22:26   #15
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Using a SIM instead of standard broadband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacking View Post
Unfortunately the move is due to work, so not able to decide where.

This is all really useful information. Thank you all! We are in quite an urban area, and not too far from the station. I'll have a look at the patterns.

Does that mean I could potentially use my current phone SIM in the router to test it on Vodafone?
Yes, *but* there are a couple of caveats.

1. If you have an iPhone there’s a risk that Apple’s servers will deregister your SIM if you use it in a non-Apple device. This will lock you out of iMessage and Find My for a time; while it should correct itself fairly quickly I have heard of people needing help from Apple to restore it.

2. If the SIM bay in your router is not the same size as the one in your phone you will need an adapter - either to put it in the larger SIM bay in your router, or if your router requires the smallest size and you have to push out the plastic surround you would then need an adapter to get it back into your phone.

Neither of these is a deal breaker, but just be aware you can cause yourself complications.

Before you take any physical actions in the real world, use cellmapper.net to establish which, in theory, is the network with the strongest, most local coverage.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote