View Single Post
Old 24-07-2023, 11:35   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Using a SIM instead of standard broadband

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 View Post
My contract with Virgin broadmand is nearly up and I'm thinking of using a router with a SIM slot instead. Has anyone had any experience with this instead of regular broadband? There seem to be some good SIM only deals with 'good' speeds and unlimited data at the moment, but could I use this to say, stream 4K Netflix? Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask...

Thanks chooks.

I used a 4G setup for a couple of years. It can work well but it’s a minefield. Lots of things to get right, beginning with finding the service provider with the best local signal, whether or not they’re the cheapest. I have seen an entire rural community 4G broadband trial fail spectacularly because they got this most basic requirement wrong at the outset.

So don’t start by looking at deals, start by thoroughly researching your local signal environment. You’re going to be placing a modem/router wherever the best 4G signal is in your house, and if you’re stuck with universally meh service from all providers you’re going to be adding an external antenna whose flylead must not be more than 5 metres long.

If you’re up for it I can probably answer most of your questions but I’m off out just now - happy to post more later if you want.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote