View Single Post
Old 21-09-2022, 23:09   #1
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
‘Smart’ light bulb woes

I am having a problem with the smart light bulbs in my house. All of them are Phillips Hue bulbs, three white only, 2 coloured.

Last night at 2.55am, all of them deregistered themselves from both my Amazon Alexa account and my Philips Hue app. I know what time it was because the one in my bedroom switched on, then off, then on again, then my Echo Dot refused to accept the voice command to turn it off again (obvs I was awake by this point).

Previously when this has happened I have assumed the Alexa system is messing things up, but today for the first time I noticed the bulbs all disassociate themselves from my Hue app as well. Philips has recently merged its Bluetooth and Wi-Fi apps into one; previously I was only accessing my bulbs over Bluetooth on the Philips app, but now I’m able to use the Wi-Fi version.

So I have got as far as thinking that my router is periodically doing something that causes the bulbs to go haywire - perhaps terminating and not renewing their IP address lease? Frankly I don’t have the expertise to work it out any further or to think about potential fixes.

The router is a BT Smart Hub 3 with 2 additional Wi-Fi extender discs in the house, although i used to get the same behaviour with my previous BT Hub 6 and no discs.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote