View Single Post
Old 29-07-2022, 02:35   #1849
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Of course they are - its called privacy.

We, for example, will not pass on any details of anyone, unless legally required to do so.

Why on earth would you join a site that passes on your details at the drop of a hat ?

---------- Post added at 23:03 ---------- Previous post was at 22:56 ----------

Well obviously we dont know the details of some random site, but there are generally options other than shutting down, that seems a little extreme.
In the programme linked to, they won't even pass on information about terrorists which could save lives.

The reasons behind the sites closure are given here. People need to remember that trolling site owners (and others) many of them unpaid, can lead to mental health issues.

Nobody is above criticism, but when it's relentless and unjustified, it is a form of abusive trolling. This is a well known tactic used by internet bullies & bigots and forms part of my complaint of harrassment to the police:

Quote:
It is with sadness that I must inform you all that TV Live Forum is to close down on Sunday at 12pm UK time.

I created this forum purely to continue the conversation from TV Forum, and I'm proud that I did it. However, I have felt more and more miserable as time has gone on, and my mental health has suffered as a result.

I knew I had big shoes to fill, TV Forum was a great website, and I was proud to be a part of it. I took the responsibility of running this site seriously, and every decision I made was, in my view, the right one. I made a few mistakes, and did things that were unpopular, but at the end of the day, I learned from the experience.

However, sadly, the continuing abuse that I've been receiving from certain people has resulted in my general mental health plummeting to the floor. I took a couple of weeks away from the forum recently to refresh my head, and seek counselling to address my mental health issues. The only way that I'm going to resolve my issues is to cut the forum out of my life, and that is what I intend to do.

The forum will close on August 31st at 6pm. This will give somebody enough time to set up a replacement forum if they so wish. I will support any legitimate effort at creating a new forum. If any new forum wishes to take on the posts and topics from here, they're more than welcome to, however I am willing to keep this site online as an archive.

I want to thank my moderators: David, Ben, Matt and James have been fantastic with keeping the forum going over its short life. I want to thank Pete from Metropol for being a "consultant" on all things forum related. His help has been very useful, and I'm grateful for his support.

Also, a big thank you to every single current member of the site for being a part of the community. I'm desperately sorry that it has had to end so soon, but I know in my heart that I'm doing the right thing.

The main TV Live website will continue, as will my new site On The Telly, and I will be focusing much more on my radio show as well as my work. I'm not going anywhere...

To those of you who have continued to criticise me, I simply want to say this... you should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves. Because of your words, you are depriving people of a place to discuss television presentation, and robbing me of a site that I've been really proud to work on. Karma is a wonderful thing, and I just hope that one day you look back on what you've said about me and feel really bad about what you've done.

Thank you, and don't forget to switch off your sets...
I'm on Andover Radio every Saturday afternoon from 4pm-6pm.

---------- Post added at 02:35 ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 ----------

The affects of trolling and unnecessarily nasty comments from just as nasty individuals on vulnerable people (and even those that aren't) is discussed in the first feature of this programme.

The Online Safety Bill, which has been five years in the making, is mentioned as an attempt to deal with this:

https://www.itv.com/hub/lorraine/1a9360a3153

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 29-07-2022 at 02:39. Reason: Added quote & corrected grammar. Fa RDA.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote