Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 25-06-2021, 07:48   #6005
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
Re: Coronavirus

Just coming to the end of my first week of being involved in the surge testing in Leeds. Quite an eye opener!

Our team is concentrating on Headingley and Hyde Park which are predominantly student areas and while I'm no expert on what would constitute an epidemic I'd say that the areas are in the middle of a major outbreak. For example, we've spoken to the residents of around 500 of the 1500 doors we've knocked on. Of the 500, maybe 30 properties have had positive tests in the last week (since the first England game??). These are the people feeling ill enough to get tested. I would imagine there are many more who didn't answer the door (because they felt too ill??) or don't realise they're infected.

The morning after the last England game, the amount of sofas in front gardens, burnt out BBQs and beer cans and wine bottles was amazing so I'd not be surprised if the next major spreading event was the Germany game! One old chap was telling one of my team that on the Sunday evening after the first England game the police came to break up a gathering of 120 students!

It's also the end of term and many students are packing up to go home so it may be on it's way to your neck of the woods in the coming days! I spoke to a mother yesterday who was packing her daughters stuff in the car to head off down to the south coast. The daughter admitted they'd done a bit of partying in the last week or so and admitted she might need to get a PCR test. Her mother looked pretty shocked and angry!

However, on a positive note the number of students who said they've got vaccines booked was encouraging.