View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 10:22   #21
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Freeview changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Do you think S4C will move to the BBC Mux so that Sony Movies Action can launch in Wales on SDN?
Yeah, makes sense given how involved BBC is with S4C these days. And there was no obvious reason to implement the same multiplex configuration in other regions unless they had a plan for the space or it somehow saves them money.

Someone, I forget who (so I can't credit them unfortunately), told me they'd need to get the rules for the BBC SD multiplex changed to allow them to do it. The HD multiplex (BBC-B) has rules that allow commercial channels, hence Channel 3 HD/Channel 4 HD/Channel 5 HD and TBN SD.

Some people think closing the Red Button Text Service, as they were planning before it was postponed, would allow space for yet another stream. So in theory, if they got the rules changed, they could rent one space to a commercial broadcaster (two if a broadcaster didn't mind being not being in Wales and Scotland) and earn a little money. 98% coverage would be attractive, especially as it wouldn't be limited to HD tuners.

But it's all just theory for now. None of it may ever happen.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 08-03-2020 at 10:27.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote