View Single Post
Old 16-10-2021, 19:12   #28
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Why TV only customers are only allowed to have an old Tivo box

It's not just about the speed of the broadband connection, but how well the box makes the whole app perform

Netflix, YouTube and iPlayer were all on the TiVo box before the V6 box launched. So they are part of that user experience. However they all run much faster on the V6 boxes to the TiVo boxes even before you start watching anything.

However Amazon Prime didn't launch on Virgin TV till after the V6 was available. So my personal view is that a decision was made that the best experience for newer streaming apps was on the V6 only. Trying to get the TiVo boxes to run them wouldn't be a good experience.

I'd also think that there could be commercial considerations with the streaming providers as to the minimum best user experience.

And as Virgin are a company that are there to make money, it's also a good way to encourage upgrades to have some services exclusive to your newer hardware.