Thread: Racing (Car) F1 2023 Season Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2023, 16:38   #21
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: F1 2023 Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Race control would have known immediately that the first sector had not been completed as they would not have had any timings retered at the very least..Race control know exactly where any car is at anytime on the circuit during a race.

Now as I understand the rules if the first sector isn't cleared by the leader the lap does not count. I fully admit I could be wrong. If I'm right that means following the 3rd red flag there was still 2 laps to go. 1 fomation lap and then 1 racing lap as lap 57 didn't count as a lap.

What do you think?

I'm going back to bed for a couple of hours but eilling to discuss further later.
It’s certainly confusing, and I’ve a feeling that the rules are different on whether the red flag lap “counts” or not depending on whether it’s the start of the race or not.

A separate thing I’ve got thinking about is how dangerous the “2 lap shootout” scenario is. If you’ve got 14 cars on track (I think) nobody is that far from points or taking home a points haul far above their driving and car performance. Points that could be worth millions of dollars to the teams. I wonder if this “lottery” is why team principals say they want to finish under green flag conditions.

The little bit of risk aversion that says on lap 1 keep it on the road, anything can happen, strategy, safety cars, red flags etc. is gone. Even say 10 laps out from the end if you’ve got an out of position Ferrari (Sainz) or Red Bull (Perez) sitting next to you part of a driver must think who are they really racing on track.

In two laps without DRS you might as well go all in.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote