View Single Post
Old 29-07-2005, 01:07   #245
DeadKenny
Inactive

Services: PlusNet 2Mbps Premier. BT. Sky Digital. TiVo.
DeadKenny will become famous soon enoughDeadKenny will become famous soon enoughDeadKenny will become famous soon enough
Re: Want ADSL?-Read on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition
OK We'll pretend they weren't pretending it was nothing to do with them for a couple of weeks before they admitted to it then, and that they had an 18 minute long queue for the phones 11pm last night, and that they disconnect users overnight on a random basis to loadbalance their creaking pipes, and that they aren't running their BT Interconnects close to 100% both bandwidth and sessions wise
99% of their users will be unaware of this, but anyway.

18 minutes... pah, NTL had that beat at 40 minutes and that was on a regular daily basis not just a one off

Quote:
BTW Routers on the internet certainly do not traffic shape, it's in their interest to get as much data as possible so that they can charge for the usage of their bandwidth. Can't see transit providers traffic shaping so that their customers pay them less somehow.
Well Cisco have a lot of money invested in QoS routers. Many are used by ISPs obviously, but if you traceroute a site on the net you are using numerous ISPs on the way and are only out on the "real" net for a short part of the journey. The rest can be traffic shaped at both ends by numerous routers on the way.

Traffic shaping is inevitable.

Interesting read regarding P2P on the net...

http://www.lightreading.com/document...435&print=true

Now read all the other forums on adslguide, just as vocal or more so about other ISPs. Ever read the threads here about NTL, and also on the other similar sites and the old nthellworld? Hmm, Seem to recall a lot more voice on that one

adslguide is full of the 0.1% who like to moan ever 2 seconds. Give them a week and they'll have forgotten about it when they realise it's a non-issue anyway.

Of course loads of armchair complainers like to presume their crappy speed test results are as a direct result of the ISP's actions without any real evidence

Quote:
Along with their total utilisation, note the nice flat top as the bandwidth maxes out, and the spat at 11 o'clock where something was done with the traffic shaping that made a couple of hundred Mbps appear from nowhere.

http://www.plus.net/support/adsl/adsl_utilisation.shtml
Not sure what you're looking at there, but looks like a pretty average utilisation graph to me. Nothing at 100% there, though it doesn't specify what the pipe limits are anyway and it's a very simplistic graph that doesn't show the full picture. Would love to see NTL's utilisation graphs

Quote:
Also note the jaggy bits where they disconnect users to try and balance their heaving BT interconnects.
A minor blip at 6am. NTL take people offline for longer periods than that when balancing their network, and often leave them off resulting in frustrated calls, engineers out and it turns out they just needed their modems rebooting

Quote:
You get what you pay for sadly.
Yep, great quality service that works . I've recommended it to dozens of people and they're all happy (and I'm even more happy as I get a discount from their referrals ... and it they were unhappy I'd stop getting the discounts as they'd have quit ).

Paid twice as much with NTL, total crap all the time as you well know .

Guess you've got a beef with Plus though, just as I had with NTL

I keep getting the "please come back" begging letters from NTL... I'm tempted to send them back with a "when hell freezes over" response

Yours, looking forward to 8Mbps (which is quite possible given my distance from the exchange, 4Mbps definite)
DeadKenny is offline   Reply With Quote