View Single Post
Old 30-06-2005, 02:49   #77
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star
Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
Strata by Terry Pratchett, but to be honest I'm finding it rather difficult to get into. not a slick as his newer material. There seems to be a lot of chopping and changing. Good book though
The thing about Strata and Dark Side of the Sun is that, like with The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic, Pterry was very much "finding his feet" with his writing style and developing the concepts that would later appear in the Discworld stories of today. It's interesting spotting precursors of what was to come.

Just read:

The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse by Robert Rankin

Hmm, I'd heard good things about RR, but this one was pretty disappointing.

Ok, he had some nice ideas, but I felt they were rather shoved together without much regard for the whole
Spoiler: 
eg the Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the title appear on the cover, but have really damn all to do with the story

Some of the jokes felt very laboured and occasionally he drops into "unnecessarily crude" mode for a bit for no good reason that I could see apart from to use a rude word or make a dirty joke.

Not very impressive overall.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote