View Single Post
Old 30-03-2005, 20:58   #17
goblin
Inactive

goblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nice
Re: Wireless Networking... help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc
Any hints?

re: wireless range. It will be overstated but the range of 54g is over what you should need anyway.
That's good news then.

Quote:
What is more important is siting of the router, also the sitings of the individual PCs most notably where the antennae of the adaptors are.

Water, metal, microwaves, cordless phones, will also degrade your signal.
I must admit this is something that I hadn't considered. I have my desktop in a corner, opposite to where the broadband cable enters the room. Within this corner I have a Panasonic DECT phone. The only place to put the router itself would be ontop of the computer sub-woofer. Even though it is reportadly "shielded", I take it this may cause a problem?

Quote:
The Belkin PCI adaptors are fine apart from the aerials. They basically screw straight onto the card and that's where all the wiring for your PC is. I got a new antenna on a wire and moved it miles away from the pc and the coverage is miles better, almost no downtime now. The usb ones are quite good as they come with extension stands so you can put the adapter miles away from the pc.
Is this antenae a generic product or is it specific to Belkin?

Quote:
One final note... the security measures are there for a reason and that reason is to stop unauthorised access to the lan. Use them. Particularly useful are:
- MAC address filtering... only lets "allowed" addresses on the lan but these can be cloned. It's a decent start though.
- WEP encryption... encrypts your data so it can't be read by "snoopers"
- Don't broadcast the SSID [change it]
- Change the router's default password
Very useful advice.

Quote:
anything i've missed?
Errm don't think so.
goblin is offline   Reply With Quote