View Single Post
Old 15-05-2024, 11:49   #849
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
They are both linear, of course, but my 2035 prediction did not refer to them as they didn't exist at the time to the best of my knowledge. I was referring to our more conventional broadcast channels.
FAST simply stands for Free Ad-Supported Television, which is what ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and many others already do, broadcasting over cable, terrestrial or satellite. The only reason the acronym has come into use is because operators have started broadcasting over IP, in a space previously occupied only by on-demand content, and in order to discuss developments it is useful to have terms that distinguish between them.

But don’t let that obscure an important point in this long-running debate: ‘FAST channels’ are simply linear broadcast TV. Moreover, some of them are even operated by broadcasters who are new to the market, because the cost of running a broadcast channel over IP are lower than broadcast over established methods.

The fact that they exist is hard proof that your predictions are extremely shaky. The technology that has enabled streaming has also further enabled broadcast, such that *new* broadcast channels are now starting up.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote