View Single Post
Old 10-02-2024, 17:55   #790
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Consumers don’t pay less if content is bundled together. Indeed, they end up paying for the entire bundle including the content they don’t watch. Wasn’t that supposed to be a benefit of streaming to stop that?

There is nothing pedantic about introducing your fanciful posts to reality. It’s very easy to argue that no streamer has a business model for sports rights in the UK, indeed as every auction passes and rights sell for less in real terms than last time it’s obvious.
As I said very clearly, this arrangement is being introduced in the US, not the UK. However, I don’t see that as an immovable barrier.

The way I would assume this would work is that a group of companies get together to form a joint venture, which then bids for the rights to various sports. The rights they achieve are then made available to various other streamers and TV channels to provide access through subscriptions.

You are making too many assumptions here when you talk about bundling. There is no reason why streamers cannot separate out the main sporting events (football, tennis, horse racing, etc) and charge according to the sports the subscriber wants to watch.